This page has been edited to reflect services available while “social distancing” requirements are in effect.
See below for all the things that Southern Maine Area Agency on Aging (SMAAA) resource specialist Zany can help with.
Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors is supporting an Aging In Place (AIP) initiative in Yarmouth, led by Leigh Kirchner with support from a large group of volunteers. We interpret Aging In Place to mean: the ability to live in one’s home and community safely, independently, and comfortably regardless of age, income, or ability level.
If you have questions about, or suggestions for needed services, or would like to participate, please call Leigh at 207-712-7244 or e-mail her: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Services available now:
- Health Services and Support
- Economic Security
- Volunteer Services
- The Phone Pal Program offers a volunteer who will regularly call you for a friendly chat, providing connections and someone you can talk to about everyday life.
Senior Tax Assistance in Yarmouth (STAY)
To receive an application, you may either
- print one from the website here, or
- call Yarmouth Town Hall at 846-9036 x212,
provide your name and address, and
request an application be mailed to you
To return an application, you may either:
- Mail it to:
Attn: Town Clerk, Town of Yarmouth, 200 Main St, Yarmouth, ME 04096
- Drop it off outside the back door to Yarmouth Town Hall
in the drop box (plastic tote at the moment)
The deadline is April 30, 2020. If it is extended by the Town Council, that will be publicized.
Southern Maine Agency on Aging
Zyanya Holman, Resource Specialist with the Southern Maine Agency on Aging (SMAA) and Town of Yarmouth. SMAA is working remotely due to COVID-19 currently and Zany is available by phone. She works with Yarmouth Residents to provide support and assistance connecting with different types of community resources such as:
- Assist with Housing Options
- Application Assistance
- Nutrition Programs
- Meals on Wheels
- In-Home Support Resources
- Legal Resources
- Dental Resources
- Benefit screening/ Financial Issues
- Transportation Resources and much more.
Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors (YCAN) has three new programs for Yarmouth residents only, to help maintain independence at home and connect with the community. These are the Friendly Visitor, Handy Helper, and Phone Pal programs. We are working actively with our Phone Pal Program which offers a volunteer who will regularly call you for a friendly chat, providing connection and someone you can talk to about everyday life.
During the COVID outbreak, SMAA has been able to provide:
- Phone Pal support to those on Meals on Wheels. Meals on Wheels has been able to increase the amount of meals delivered per week and extended criteria.
- Classes on how to use Zoom (to help decrease social isolation and connect them with friends and family)
- Virtual coffee hours to connect seniors
- Meditation and gentle exercise classes virtually
Please visit the SMAA website for more information on our events. We have two virtual presentations coming up via Zoom:
You Have the Power to Prevent a Fall
Wednesday November 2 from 10:30 – 11:30
Healthy Body and Healthy Brain
Wednesday December 9 from 1:00 – 2:00
We will reschedule our other programs for the spring, and will also provide one other virtual presentation via Zoom:
Planning for Elder Care
Tuesday, November 10 from 1 – 2 pm
To reach Zany, please email her at
with any questions. Her office hours are
Tuesdays & Thursdays
from 10am – 3pm
She is also available by phone 8am – 4pm