The Yarmouth Cares Fund allows YCAN to help meet critical community needs over the next twelve months, including:
- Fuel Assistance to Yarmouth families in need
- Home weatherization initiatives that help reduce future need for Fuel Assistance
- Yarmouth Community Food Pantry
- Senior Rides (volunteer drivers help Seniors get to local destinations)
- Operation Bundle Up (warm weather clothing)
- Project Holiday (holiday gifts for children)
- Special needs and circumstances
Last year’s contributions and fundraisers raised over $55,000 for these causes. Any amount, small or large, is much appreciated.
Please make checks out to “YCAN” or “Yarmouth CAN” and mail them to:
Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors
P.O. Box 553
Yarmouth, ME 04096
Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors is a non-profit, all volunteer, 501(c)(3) organization, so contributions are eligible for tax deductions to the extent allowed by state and federal law.
This event is free, but registration is on a “first come, first served” basis before October 31. So, if you are interested, please contact them promptly to assure yourself a spot!
An upcoming seminar at the
Congregational Church in Cumberland
Saturday, April 5th
from 9:30am to 12:30pm
will be of interest to everyone who works with the elderly in the area, such as hairdressers, bankers, volunteers, etc. It will focus on:
- How to recognize abuse
- How to protect elderly clients from fraud and scams
- How to talk with victims
- Available resources
For more information or to reserve a seat, contact the Rev. Lin Peyton by phone (207) 865-4067 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also view this poster for details.
YCAN has launched a new and exciting program for our community:
- Free Rides for Seniors (male or female, age 55 and older)
- who cannot drive, either temporarily or permanently
- on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9 am to 12 pm
- by volunteer drivers
- to shopping areas along Route 1 in Yarmouth or Falmouth
- to shop for groceries, get your hair done, etc.
- NOT for medical appointments (Yarmouth Health Council does this)
The details of pickup and drop off will be worked out after you contact us. If you would like to take advantage of this new service, please contact Jean Rafford by phone at (207) 329-7295. Leave your name, telephone number, and the day you might like a ride.
Please help spread the word to others who may needs rides. We hope many of you will join this important new effort in our community!
YCAN is planning to offer rides to Yarmouth seniors who need to
- buy groceries
- visit a hairdresser or barber in Yarmouth or Falmouth
This service will be offered on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9 am to Noon, starting in September, 2012. Between now and then, we will be recruiting volunteer drivers and spreading the word to seniors who have expressed an interest in this service.
We are looking for:
- One or two volunteers to help us coordinate the scheduling of drivers and clients.
- Volunteer drivers who could drive at a scheduled time once or twice per month.
If you can help, please contact Jean Rafford:
- by phone at (207) 329-7295, or by e-mail to jeanrafford “at” gmail.com
For more information about YCAN, please explore this site further!