Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors (YCAN) will once again be coordinating Holiday Gifts for Yarmouth, Maine families in need of help with gifts for their children. We request that all applications be returned to us as soon as possible to give our Elves more time to shop, but no later than December 1st.
The 2017 Project Holiday application is now available by clicking here, or by visiting:
Yarmouth Community Services
200 Main Street (behind Town Hall)
First Parish Church
116 Main Street
Completed applications should be returned to Community Services at the address above.
If you have questions, or would like an application mailed to you, please call Beth at (207) 838-2261 or Jean at (207) 329-7295.
The annual Yarmouth Cares campaign has begun! Please consider a donation to support all of the Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors (YCAN) programs including:
Yarmouth CAN is a 501(c)(3) private, non-profit, all-volunteer organization, so your contributions are eligible to be tax deductible under Maine and Federal law.
Please make checks payable to Yarmouth CAN, and mail them to:
P.O. Box 553
Yarmouth, ME 04096
Please include your name, address, phone number, and email address so that we may send you an acknowledgement of your gift. If you prefer that your name not be publicly acknowledged as a donor to YCAN, please include a note to that effect with your check.
Thank you, and Happy Holidays!
Now that the holiday season of 2014 has come to an end, we would like to thank all the many people in Yarmouth who helped others have a few more things to celebrate last month.
Thanks to the many, many kind donations of food or funds to the food pantry, as well as the numerous volunteer hours that went into sorting food, preparing food baskets, and helping with distribution, the Yarmouth Community Food pantry provided holiday meals for 292 adults as part of Project Holiday.
And, thanks to the many, many donations of gifts and volunteer hours, the Project Holiday team supplied holiday gifts to 109 children from 46 families.
Thank you to all who helped by donating space, food, gifts, time, and/or funds! Yarmouth is a town that cares about its neighbors… Thank YOU!
The Yarmouth Cares Fund allows YCAN to help meet critical community needs over the next twelve months, including:
- Fuel Assistance to Yarmouth families in need
- Home weatherization initiatives that help reduce future need for Fuel Assistance
- Yarmouth Community Food Pantry
- Senior Rides (volunteer drivers help Seniors get to local destinations)
- Operation Bundle Up (warm weather clothing)
- Project Holiday (holiday gifts for children)
- Special needs and circumstances
Last year’s contributions and fundraisers raised over $55,000 for these causes. Any amount, small or large, is much appreciated.
Please make checks out to “YCAN” or “Yarmouth CAN” and mail them to:
Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors
P.O. Box 553
Yarmouth, ME 04096
Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors is a non-profit, all volunteer, 501(c)(3) organization, so contributions are eligible for tax deductions to the extent allowed by state and federal law.
Thanks to the Yarmouth Community for being part of “Project Holiday” 2013. This Holiday Season we were able to help 29 Yarmouth families (68 children and 59 adults) who would otherwise have very little to celebrate. The Yarmouth Food Pantry gave out over 50 food baskets with turkeys and all the fixings.
– the First Parish Congregational Church
– St. Bartholomew Church
– the Lions Club
– Yarmouth Fire and Rescue’s Hats and Mittens collection
– the Girl Scouts
– over 20 individual residents and businesses
– all of the volunteers who helped with distribution
each of the families we helped had food on the table, something to keep them warm, and something to help keep the Holiday Spirit alive.
“Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors” (YCAN) was formed to bring the community together to help those residents who find themselves in need of assistance. Project Holiday is a shining example of what can happen when we all band together in a common cause. We are making a difference.
Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors is proud to help facilitate Project Holiday, which is supported by many Yarmouth residents and organizations. Project Holiday helps families who do not have the means to buy gifts for their children during the Holidays.
There are two ways you can help:
- Sponsor a family. We will send you a list showing each child’s age, gender and interests. We ask that you spend less than $100 per child. You do not have to purchase items on the interest list – they are there to provide shopping ideas. For teenagers, gift cards are often a welcome gift.
- Contribute money or gift cards to support this program. Money is always welcome, and gift cards from Hannaford’s, or Wal-Mart, etc. are very useful to help address “tough to shop for” and last minute situations ($25 is often the most useful card balance). If you have a credit card with a rewards program that offers gift cards from national retailers with local stores (such as Wal-Mart), it can be a very convenient and economical source of such cards. We welcome as much financial support, or as many gift cards, as you care to offer.
If you are interested in sponsoring a family for Project Holiday, we prefer to hear from you in October or November as all gifts must be wrapped and ready by mid-December. You may indicate your interest by e-mail to Yarmouth CAN or by calling 207-838-2261.
To donate funds or gift cards for Project Holiday, please see our Donate Money page. Funds or gift cards are needed as far in advance of mid-December as you can get them to us.